Friday, January 8, 2016

Amending Your Jogging Technique

Although my knees have never been a problem when working out at the gym, jogging is a whole ‘nother story, and always has been.

Perhaps my not liking to jog in the first place has something to do with it, or maybe the initial discomfort I’ve always experienced does. These days though, it’s worse.

I jog every morning so that I and my dog can get some exercise in to start the day off right. Initially I jog slowly and mindfully for only 100 yards, then I walk; then repeat until my knees are warmed up. Some days though, they do not completely become discomfort-free, even after the warmup routine. I found that if I adjust my jogging technique that there is usually an improvement.

I lengthen my stride. I raise my knees higher. I land on a different foot area, such as the outer portion, or on the forefoot, I speed up or slow down. It makes a difference. I keep adjusting as I jog until I get to a place where the discomfort is gone, or at least it is minimal.

If you are feeling less like jogging these days due to discomfort, try changing things up a bit and see if that might improve your running experience.

I keep harping on this, but know the difference between discomfort, which is normal, and pain, which is not. Do not make the mistake of running through the pain. Every time I see a jogger wearing a knee brace and limping as they run I have to roll my eyes at the foolishness of that. Stop. Take time to heal. Then resume your routine, carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment