Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Why I Get Up At 4 A.M.—Or Earlier



For whatever reason about two years ago, no matter what time I went to bed the night before, I began waking up anytime between 4 a.m. and 6 a.m. More recently it’s often closer to 4 a.m. It’s a natural occurrence wherein if I force myself to stay in bed I just lie there thinking useless crap anyway, so instead I get out of bed and start my day productively.

Traditionally I’ve worked out between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m., mostly because in most places I have lived, the gym is least crowded at that time. I didn’t even know what time my gym opened in the morning, but when I discovered it opens at 4 a.m., and I was not accomplishing as much at home for the first few hours I was awake, I decided to try working out first thing in the morning.

What shocked me is how crazy crowded my gym is that early in the morning—more crowded than I’ve ever seen it. In the back of my head I wondered at first how I’d ever get motivated to do heavy leg presses at 4:30 until I saw these “everyday” (meaning, non-bodybuilders) doing the same, along with squats, deadlifts and the other heavy-duty exercises. Quite quickly it became normal to attack my workout routine at this unseemly hour.

Going to the gym this early is not to “get it out of the way,” as I love going to the gym and the rewards it brings, so my workout is something to look forward to rather than get over with. But it does feel great coming home with a great pump at a time when most of my neighbors are still an hour away from getting out of their beds.

Change is uncomfortable at first but often it can be a kick-start to new adventures and improved outcomes. 



1 comment:

  1. I hear you.....waking up at 4:30 stinks. Seems I can't get more than 5 hours of sleep and it does not matter what time I get to bed. I really believe I need at least 7 hours. Working out in that time makes since, but I really think over time the lack of sleep is going to catch me somehow. Does that aspect concern you?

    ReplyDelete