Monday, October 9, 2017

Gizmos And Gadgets Aren’t The Answer To Your Workout.


So now there’s an AI (artificial intelligence) “Coach” available for $250 which is basically Siri shrieking at you through headphones to hurry it along. Then there’s the Fitbit bracelet, Pilates Circle and an endless line of crap I recall from TV infomercials stretching back to the 1980s that is designed to appeal to those who can’t get themselves motivated to do their pushups, jogging, etc.

The ultimate example is the treadmill, which sits in millions of apartments and home basements taking up space or serving as a clothes rack.

The psychology is, if you spend money on something, especially LOTS of money, you’ll feel obligated to exercise, if only because you feel guilty having spent money on that gadget that’s taunting and tormenting you by its mere presence. I myself have fallen for this flawed rationalization in my youth, much to my wallet’s detriment, in the days before my desire to become fit and strong was enough motivation to get me down on the floor or to the gym.

When I was very active as a personal trainer I realized what people wanted most from me was to somehow implant within them the desire to work out, to give them the gift of motivation so that going to the gym would become an irresistable burning desire. Of course no one can do that for yourself but you. Whatever it takes to get you enthused to go to the gym or hit the fitness bands hard—photos of others, youtube videos, movie superheroes, beach bodies you see at the shore, USE IT. Get more of it. On my days when I’m feeling like maybe I’ll skip the gym, I put on a couple of favorite YouTube videos to rev me up.


Don’t spend your hard-earned money on gadgets and gizmos that promise to make the hard work of fitness “easier.” Find yourself a role model or two, someone who exhibits the kind of body, strength or fitness level you ideally want to achieve, whether it be a neighbor, a celebrity or a Youtube personality.

1 comment: